Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Ode to the Alabama Redneck (or, Rednecks and Car wrecks)

Look, I try to stand up for you guys. Even with your super majority of backwoods/backwards bible beating bigots, I know that is a slightly unfair generalization, as all of you are not like that. I'm talking to You! You southern country boys with not much to do, I imagine, other than drive your pickups a little fast, do a bit of off-roadin' and call ladies "darlin' "; Should folks ask about your questionable demeanour, I say:
"Why no m'am/sir - not all our country boys are incestuous-drunken-racist-stereotypes. They're just victims of circumstance and relics of a lost culture. They'll treat you right nice and fry up your greens til you arteries will just start a-weeping at the sight of a tomato."

Well, my tune has changed. Right now, it is Taps in the key of bitter. Before last week, if I saw a thick drawl saunter up to me in a pair of wrangler jeans, I'd smile and let you hold that door open for me. But now, my message to any country boy I see is this:

"You better check yourself, before your wreck yourself.. or wreck my boyfriend's car. Again."

Then I would throw something super pretentious in their face (like a foreign criterion film or something) and slowly back away, humming Finnegan's Wake at a death march tempo.

Okay, perhaps I won't follow through with this, as I do admire a redneck's ability to guzzle whiskey and stand on a lawn and holler up at tornadoes, calling them "pissant pantywastes" and what not...

But you are on watch, rednecks. You are on watch.


The bf's car. RIP, fair Honda.

No comments: