Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Smell you later

What a rotten decade. There's just no way around it. And 2009? Well, you sure did your best to make me glad to be rid of ya!
Artistically speaking, this is rather unfair to label the year in such bad terms, as there were some great music and films, and even personally speaking, it was nice to stick my big toe back into theatre; and also getting to go to that national drama competition was a swell experience.... but otherwise? Yuck. Yuck for two months homeless and couch hopping, yuck for the miscalculated moves (literally and figuratively), yuck for the disappointments and the childish behavior; yuck for everyone's struggles and yuck for my own.
Therefore I am releasing it into the nothingness and demanding the universe restore order. Everything keeps landing tits up, and I've had enough. 2010 and this new decade better make with the good!
Negative Nelly-ing aside, I am grateful for several things and there were some truly wonderful experiences, though they were too few and far between. Going back to the artistic delights of the year, my top favorites of the year were:

Movies
1. Up
2. Fantastic Mr Fox
3. Where the Wild Things Are
4. In the Loop
5. This remains open, because there were several good films that I wanted to see that I'm positive that would've made the list.... so I'll have to get back to you on that.

Music (In no particular order, as this was a fucking awesome year for music)
1. Fleet Foxes
2. Shearwater
3. St. Vincent
4. The Swell Season
5. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
honorable mention: Grizzly Bear, Bon Iver, Bill Callahan, well- there is a lot. A lot.

So, smell you later '09 and the first 9 years of the millennium. We part not really as friends- more like family who will forget your birthday, and probably wouldn't send you a card even if they remembered.

1 comment:

Frau Schmidt said...

Yeah! Time to fuck 2010 in the ass!